Registration is available here
*** Please note: This event is not being held in our “regular” room at FVTC due to construction. Here’s how to get there:
- Where: Fox Valley Technical College – Room HS301 in the Health Simulation & Technology Center (HSTC)
- Campus Map with Room HS301, Parking Lot, and Entrance Door all highlighted is located wivmug-fvtc-meeting-rm301-map
- Park in the North Lot and enter into Door # 16. Go up the the third floor.
October 4, 2016 WI-VMUG Agenda
- 8:15 Registration: Refreshments provided by our meeting sponsors Turbonomic and Druva
- 8:45 Welcome: by Mike Nelson, WI-VMUG Co-Leader
- 9:00 VMWorld 2016 Update by Nate Hudson, Systems Engineer at VMware
- 9:50 Crash course in containers, cloud, and performance by Eric Wright, Principal Solutions Engineer, Technology Evangelist at Turbonomic
- 10:40 Break
- 10:55 What is Micro-segmentation and How do I Start? by Ryan Pletka, Staff Systems Engineer at VMware
The industry has been approaching security with an outdated foundational model. Too much focus has been placed on securing the data center perimeter, leaving the inside of the data center relatively unguarded. In this session we will explore the concept of micro-segmentation what it is paramount in maintaining and enhancing your security posture and preventing breaches. This method wraps security controls around much smaller groups of resources – often down to a small group of resources or individual virtual machines. The inherent security and automation capabilities of the NSX platform makes micro-segmentation operationally feasible in the enterprise data center for the first time. If you’re wondering how to get started we’ll also show you what you need to know and how easy it is to get started in a greenfield or brownfield environment.
- 11:45 Lunch provided by our meeting sponsor Turbonomic and Druva
- 12:15 Community Presentation: You Spilled Your Cloud in My DevOps by Eric Shanks VCDX / Chicago VMUG Co-Leader / Senior Solutions Architect at Ahead
Methodologies, tools, and new skill sets are required to operate in a Hybrid Cloud world. This session, hosted by Eric Shanks, Senior Solutions Architect at AHEAD, will explain how AHEAD views cloud management, automation, orchestration, and configuration management as part of a DevOps environment. Additionally, Eric will teach us some of the new skill sets being sought after by companies in the cloud era.
- 1:05 Druva & VMware Combined: Enhancing VM Data Protection with the Cloud
- 1:55 Ask the Experts: Roundtable Q&A
- Nate Hudson, Systems Engineer at VMware (@gr8n8tr0n)
- Eric Wright, Principal Solutions Engineer, Technology Evangelist at Turbonomic (@discoposse)
- Ryan Pletka Staff Systems Engineer at VMware (@rpletka)
- Eric Shanks VCDX / Chicago VMUG Co-Leader / Senior Solutions Architect at Ahead (@eric_shanks)
- 2:35 Wrap-up: Announcements & Drawings